Friday, January 2, 2009

Day #2: The Greatest tree

Christmas tree I mean... It's 375 meters high and on a clear night you can see it from as far as 40 km.  And here it is, standing in my hometown IJsselstein!Day#2 This “tree” is, as you can see, not a typical christmas tree like the one you would place inside or around your home. This tree is in fact a communication station, 375 meters tall. From this tower the signals for television and radio are transmitted in order to reach 16 million people in The Netherlands. Every year this transmitting station gets turned into the greatest Christmas tree in the world. In 1992 the tree was lit for the first time.

On a side note: I had to take photos of this tree tonight as the lights are on for only three weeks. I wasn't sure when they're turning them off, but I'm sure it is this week. I just didn't want to miss this. I brought my tripod and had a F22 shutter time. I love how this turned out and how the lights are really sparkling!

22 comments:

Sarah C. (my4hens) said...

What an awesome photo and a fabulous idea! I am glad you got to take the photo before they shut the lights off!

Biancka said...

Wow, that is one gorgeous and big christmas 'tree' !!!! Great idea to bring your tripod.......your photo turned out beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love your nighttime pictures. We have a lot of dark here, in Alaska, too, so I'm trying to learn how to get great night pics. Thanks for the excellent examples!

micheleabelphoto said...

Looks great....you did a fabulous job.

Anonymous said...

this is a great shot, wow gave foto hoor, vind je vuurwerk ook supercool. Ik moet toch ook maar aan de tripod :)

Lilja said...

Wow!! Huge Christmas tree - and a gorgeous photo! Love how it turned out - my outdoor photos at night never turn out just right!

Unknown said...

Love this - very striking

Cindy said...

What a gorgeous photo! This is amazing!

Anne C said...

A wonderful picture!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! I'm so glad you were able to get the shot before the lights were turned off.

Kathy said...

this is awesome! love it. am I too late to sign up? just posted on the DSt thread under KattyZak - thanks.

Katie said...

Awesome photo and wonderful history lesson. Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

oh that is soooo pretty! Your picture turned out just gorgeous!

Rachel said...

Oh so pretty! Great job taking this pic!

Rachel

Kelly said...

Great shot! It's a pretty "tree"!

Dirty Feet Designs said...

cool photo! love the tree!

Anonymous said...

Love this, I didn't know about the yearly decoration.

Demetria said...

great photo... love the lights

Anonymous said...

This is really the greatest tree...wow!
My blog here:
http://project-365-rory.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow, this one is HUGE! And beautiful! can´t wait to see more photos from you!

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job on this. I love the star on the top. It does sparkle and shine. ;-)

LovelyMissKait said...

Cool shot! That is one huge "tree."