Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day #220 - 225: b-day, friesland & more...

So Saturday my lil' brother melvin and his GF Kiki celebrated their birtdays...they always celebrate it together. Kiki's B-day is July 1st and Melvin's is August 9th. Of course my photo for the day was about them, so here they are...day #220

Sunday morning we drove to Friesland, to stay with my cousin and his family for a few days. They had rented a little chalet there and asked us to come over... and so we did! The weather was beautiful, except for Monday afternoon and it rained for a bit. I'll show you a few more photos, other then my photos for the day...

So when we got there, we had some pie and then we walked around for a bit & we had a drink somewhere close to the sea. Next to the restaurant there was this cute set-up of wooden barrels and some other things. I asked Sidney, my cousins daughter to pose for me :)day #221

At night we had diner next to the fisherman's harbor, were all the botes from the fishermen were laying...  day #221-2

On Monday, we slept in for a bit and had a nice breakfast. When everyone was done showering and all we went to 'Pieterburen - seal rehabilitation and research centre' set-up by Lenie 't Hart.

Every year around two hundred baby seals (who lost their moms), sick/injured seals & animals wich have got caught up in fishermen nets and such... they are brought to the SRRC in Pieterburen via the seal-first-aid posts. Here, the animals are treated for their ailments and are cared for until they are well enough to be released back to sea. I think this centre does wonderful work and all costs for feeding the animals and giving them the help they need, comes from donations from people and of course ffrom the entrance money they ask.

The centre isn't that big and since most of the seals are sick, you can't see them up-close...other then from behind fences, there's one bath they stay at with big windows and that's where I took this photo...day #222

The next photo is from the pile of fishermen nets they have collected from seals who got caught in these... isn't that just awful!!

day #222-2

After visiting the centre we went to play miniture golf and had a drink. When we walked back to the car we saw this beautiful garden and an old man was working in it. His garden was open for puplic and told us we could come and check it out...so we did. It had the most beautiful flowers and butterflies & bees flying all over the place. Here are two photos I took there...Look at this busy bee collecting nectar from the flowers, all covered with the flower dust...day #222-3day #222-4 

On the way home we stopped by the sea, since it was low tide and found some pretty things there... Like sea stars, mossels, carbs & more sea life animals... It was fun, untill it started to rain...LOL

This little sea star was still alive and after we took a photo, we had placed it back in the water...day #222-5day #222-7  day #222-6

Tuesday, Day #223... around 2 PM we went to see this 'Bird of prey' show, with was so cool. They had the most awsome birds; 4 types of owls, goshawks, sea eagles and lots more and some were really big... here are few of my fav. birds and shots...day #223-1

But the most impressive one, must be this huge sea eagle... He was making so much noise at this moment and I took the shot, right when he spread his wings, see how big it is?day #223

Then one more shot I like... First up, the kids were all sitting on the ground in the middle of the field  and this big owl flew right over them... I love how this turned out :)day #223-2

After the show we went to a friend of my cousin, who came to the harbour in their boat. The guy took us for a "ride" on the boat and showed us some pretty spots on 'Lauwersmeer'. It was just beautiful... when we got back, I had to take a pic of the little house we stayed in, here it is...  day #223-3

I took 434 photos in a few days, so I've got lots more... but will leave it with this, before it's running out of hand! LOL

Then yesterday, this bee bug... was laying on the kitchen floor. It had died, prob. because of the heat... poor thing, uhm.... NOT! I hate bees and other flying bugs, I'd rather hold a spider or something like that! hehe. Anyways I do like the texture and profile of this fellow's wings though...and look at that hairy bodyday #224

Today I had to pick up some of the big boys toys from work, wich were broken for far too long and asked my dad to fix them. I pciked up our little niece Imane to come with me... First we picked up the truck and went to my work.. she played with the toys for a bit, made a puzzle and then we went to this playground for a bit. She loved, especially the water there. So since we only had an hour, I promissed her, we would go back soon with her older brother... here she is enjoying the sand and waterday #225 

Well I'm caught up... will be back this weekend for sure. This week has flewn by and weekend is almost here, just one more day of work! woohoo....   -x-

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Since you have a wonderful time spent! very nice pictures!

bentonflocke said...

I´ve lost all my words... Petra these shots are totally stunning, perfect and wonderful!!

WOW!!!!

Unknown said...

Have not been here to visit in TOO LONG! I am still taking my daily pics, but rarely put them on my blog.

Love the photos - especially the wee house you stayed in.

Don't be a stranger! :)

Anne C said...

I love your photos!

tconlan said...

wow!!!!! you have so many amazing shots here! Love the seal and the boats, the birds are so beautiful too!